Monday, January 24, 2011

Southern Living Praline-Pecan French Toast

Let me say there are not many times that I read a recipe for the first time and not need to change a thing about it, but this recipe is great as is no improv needed. BUT I have gotten a little better about taking pictures as I cook

Ingredients

  • 1  (16-oz.) French bread loaf
  • 1  cup  firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3  cup  butter, melted
  • 2  tablespoons  maple syrup
  • 3/4  cup  chopped pecans
  • 4  large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1  cup  2% reduced-fat milk
  • 2  tablespoons  granulated sugar
  • 1  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract

Preparation

1. Cut 10 (1-inch-thick) slices of bread. Reserve remaining bread for another use.




2. Stir together brown sugar and next 2 ingredients; pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.



3. Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients. Arrange bread slices over pecans; pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and chill 8 hours. I lied I actually just chilled for about 6 which really didn't matter in my opinion.






4. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake bread 35 to 37 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.

Let me say this meal was fabulous. I also did oven baked bacon which bakes miraculously at 350* for 25 minutes which gives you the perfect time to pull it off the lined baking sheet to place on some paper towels to dry before the french toast is ready.

Also I have a thing for some good fruit salad which a nice thing about cooking is fixing the fruit salad as I like. I did one carton strawberries quartered, 1 cup blueberries, 3 clementines, and 1 Granny Smith apple to that I put the apples in last and covered them with about 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice, lemon juice, and orange juice and added 2 teaspoons of sugar and put in the fridge and let chill for about 3 hours.


Also to make it look prettier you need to flip it over and it was gorgeous and fabulous.

Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. I can just hear you telling about this! I mean, I can you talking! LOL First of all it looks delish and second of all you are quite the chef! Perhaps culinary school is next? Nah, i think you already have it mastered!


    Can't wait to try this! Yummo!

    ReplyDelete