Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chicken Taco Soup

Last night I found a recipe that I wanted to try because I knew we had almost everything in the freezer or pantry, which is always a winning recipe for me, so I did tonight for dinner. I will say I had to run to the store for some limes and black beans because we did not have those in stock at the house.

Chicken Taco Soup

Chicken - shredded (as much as you like!) I used about 2 cups of boiled I had stored in the freezer.
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 package taco seasoning (I used my dashes and eye balling of cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, pepper and pinch of crushed red pepper flakes)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tbsp. red taco sauce
6 oz. can tomato paste
1 can fire roasted stewed tomatoes
1 cup diced frozen onion
1 can black beans - drain and rinsed
1 can whole kernal corn - drain and rinsed
1 lime
 
Toppings:
cheese
guacamole
sour cream 
tortilla chips
 
First heat up 2 cups of broth in either a quart measuring cup or large bowl, add the can of tomato pate and break down by either whisk or fork and set aside. 
 
In your soup pot heat up olive oil add in onion to brown, I also added minced garlic because we have a huge bottle in the fridge. Once onion is brown add in the chicken, taco seasoning, taco sauce, tomato paste/broth mixture and fire roasted stewed tomatoes(I used my hand emulsifier and broke up the tomatoes since I don't like them chunky). After all is mixed together let sit for a few minutes until the chicken has taken on the flavor of the spices. 

When the chicken has become flavorful add in the cans of corn and black beans and 2 cups of water. Simmer on low for a hour. Stir in the juice of one lime right before serving. 

Prep: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour

This was super yummy and totally a keeper recipe for the cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment